Weekly Highlights | July 18/07/22
Shanghai Embraces Web 3.0 and Digital Assets in Its Five-Year Plan
Shanghai holds the title of China’s biggest city. So when such a city announces that it intends to provide an enabling platform for innovations like metaverse, blockchain, and Web 3.0 to thrive, the world is bound to take note. Despite the central Chinese government's views towards Crypto and its underlying technology not being encouraging, this is a step in the right direction.
The announcement is contained in Shanghai's new five-year plan, which proposes supporting firms intending to build trading platforms for digital assets and those who plan to promote and research asset digitization. Also contained in the program is a segment devoted to blockchain development and its application.
The metaverse is not left behind either in this ambitious plan. On the contrary, the Shanghai government is planning to speed up the metaverse’s research process and deployment to foster interaction between the real and the virtual worlds.
GameStop Launches Its Digital Assets Marketplace Public Beta
The much-anticipated digital assets marketplace from GameStop is here. GameStop is taking off with a public beta launch of the platform, and the investors’ community is filled with joy. The platform is created to allow collectors, gamers, community members, and creators to sell, trade, and buy digital assets. The platform is linked to the GameStop Wallet and is built on layer 2 Ethereum.
Samsung Next Invests in Move-To-Earn NFT Game Genopets
Samsung Next has invested in GenoPets, and the news of the move-to-earn game raising $8.3M last October from the likes of Pantera Capital and Konvoy Ventures, among others, has caught the eyes of many, including Samsung Next.
- In other news, the traditional auction giant Christie is planning an auction of the Covid-19 Vaccine as a digital asset.
- Meanwhile, over in South Korea, the fintech giant Dunamu is planning to create 10 thousand jobs related to Web 3.0 despite the bear market.
- Also, MoonPay and Unstoppable Domains are collaborating to make Web 3.0 payments a possibility.
- The 2022 Disney Accelerator Program has selected Polygon to participate in its program. Polygon is also where Zoop’s celebrity trading card game calls home.
- It may be time to rejoice for digital assets enthusiasts that are also chocolate lovers because a top chocolate manufacturer, Mars Inc., has applied for a digital asset trademark for its famous brand M&M.
This week is packed with exciting highlights from various corners of the globe, from China to the U.S. The steady transition of companies to the Web 3.0 space continues to gain steam. Join us again next week for more of the same as we take you through some of the interesting events in the Web 3.0 space.